Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Offending In Words

4. How wisely didst Thou forewarn us to beware of men and that a man's enemies are they of his own household and that we are not to believe, if any one should say, "Behold here, or behold there." 
 
  I have been taught to my cost, and I wish it may serve to make me more cautious, and not to increase my folly.

  "Be wary," saith one, "be wary, keep to thyself what I tell thee."  And whilst I hold my peace, and believe the matter to be secret, he himself cannot keep the secret which he desires me to keep, but presently betrays both me and himself, and goes his way.

  From such tales and such incautious people defend me, O Lord, that I may not fall into their hands, nor ever commit the like.

  Give to my mouth truth and constancy in my words, and remove far from me a crafty tongue.

  What I am not willing to suffer I ought by all means to shun.
My Imitation of Christ Chapter 45

No comments:

Post a Comment