Friday, November 23, 2012

Against Presumption




Rely not on your wealth;
say not: "I have the power."
Rely not on your strength
in following the desires of your heart.
Say not: "Who can prevail against me?"
for the LORD will exact the punishment.
Say not: "I have sinned, yet what has
befallen me?"
for the LORD bides his time.
Of forgiveness be not overconfident,
adding sin upon sin.
Say not: "Great is his mercy;
my many sins he will forgive."
For mercy and anger alike are with him;
upon the wicked alights his wrath.
Delay nor your conversion to the LORD,
put it not off from day to day;
For suddenly his wrath flames forth;
at the time of vengeance, you will be
destroyed.
Rely not upon deceitful wealth,
for it will be no help on the day of wrath.
Sirach 5:1-10

No comments:

Post a Comment